No upfront costs!
Solar Power Installation in San Diego
Whether global warming means anything to you or not, there are very few today unaffected by the shrinking reserves of petroleum. The fact that there is a desperate need to not just think of alternatives but renewable alternatives that are clean and inexhaustible and to implement them on a mass scale is an open secret. The two renewable sources of clean energy being promoted are wind energy and solar energy. Solar energy is compelling in all its aspects including financially since the past year has seen cost of cost of solar power installations in San Diego nose diving and finally coming within the reach of the common man.
Solar panel installation guide
Installing solar panels begins with purchasing solar panels. A wide variety of producers and retailers of the product are available in San Diego to fulfill all your needs, from the smallest to the biggest, as a quick online search will reveal. Whether you want to install solar panels at home or in the office, some popular brands of solar panels are Aten Solar, Evergreen, BrightWatts, BP Solar, Kyocera, Sharp, and Mitsubishi.
Solar panel installation steps
- Energy Audit of the building: The first step to a solar panel installation is to ascertain the suitability of the proposed location for the said purpose. Is the house you wish to convert to solar power right for it? The suggestion is to conduct an energy audit, which is to say that you must first decide if the weather conditions are good for a solar installation. If you live in an area where it either rains or is cloudy most of the year, there is no point in thinking solar as the sun will not be able to give you enough energy.
- Location for putting up the panels: If the location gets enough sunshine, then decide on the place in or around the building where the panels will be best installed. The solar panels can be put on the roof, in the backyard, front lawn, on the window panes or wherever they can collect the rays of the sun most effectively. It is necessary to measure the area under consideration to calculate the energy output. If the roof, for example, is too small, another location will be preferred.
- Angle of sunlight: No house gets the sun at all times of the day. Select the side of the house that receives the maximum number of hours of sunlight in a day. For example, a flat roof is ideal as it will have sunlight from dawn to dusk. Window panes may get at limited times of the day. So too a yard that may get overshadowed by another building nearby. So these considerations have to be weighed before installation begins.
- Panel size: Depending on the area of the location that receives maximum solar rays in the day, the size of the solar panels will be calculated.
- Solar panel mounts: The solar panels are placed on mounts that are inclined in a manner that will help to catch the maximum sunlight. The mounts can be horizontal, vertical, or slanting. Accordingly, the mounts available in the market are pole mounts, roof-ground mounts, and flush mounts. The orientation of the mounts will again depend on how well they can catch the sun.
- Roof installation: If you have decided that the roof is most suitable for the installation of the solar panels, use a stud finder to find your rafters that will be providing support to the solar panels post installation.
- Mark the Spot: Accurately measure and mark the exact spot where the solar panels will be fixed.
- Secure the panels and mounts: Mounts for the panels must be secured in place with bolts. You don’t want a gale to carry away your installation.
- Connecting the panels: The solar panels have to be connected to the converter in your home after they are installed. A conduit that is securely in place will serve as this connection.
Why hire a company for solar panel installation?
The purpose of installing solar panel in your home or office is to generate your own solar electricity and wean yourself off of the city's power grid. As more and more people do this, the energy consumption by traditional methods will come down. But to reach this goal, it is necessary that your photovoltaic array functions effectively. Any glitch in the installation could defeat the very purpose. So the work of installation is best left to professionals who have the expertise in the field through years of experience. What is equally important is that there are available in the market today a range energy-efficient products that you can buy, renewable energy systems, attractive finance options that you can avail, and methods to become eligible for a federal tax credit. The solar company will also apprise you of Performance Based Incentives floated by the government to promote solar energy in San Diego and much more.